- Where are you from?
- Are you Japanese?
- What’s your racial background?
Japanese + Korean
- Is “Yumi” your last name?
No, that’s my middle name.
- Do you speak any other languages outside of English and Japanese?
No, not fluently.
- Where did you learn Japanese?
It’s my first language, but I learned how to read and write hira/kana/kanji in high school.
- Japanese post disclaimer:
I am a medical student. I am not a Japanese teacher. I don’t have a teaching license. My posts are merely a fun reference, so if you think my posts are incomplete as lessons, you’re right. I try to keep things basic and easy to understand. I often teach “rules of thumb” rather than “golden grammar rules of justice” and although I try, I don’t always go over every single way one can read a certain kanji, all of its meanings, or all of its usages. I apologize in advance if I make a mistake and will gratefully accept corrections, but otherwise, please reserve your hate.
- Can you recommend some Japanese-learning resources?
When it comes to textbooks, many followers have recommended the Genki series and when it comes to online resources, kanji-a-day, Rikai-kun, and lang-8 are very helpful.
- What anime do you recommend?
You can check out my recommendations by genres/mood here and here.
- What drawing programs do you use?
Inkscape + Gimp
- What font do you use for your Japanese lessons?
YutaCoco + kimbapnoona’s SDKwangSoo
- What kind of doctor do you want to be?
I thought I knew before, but now that I’m doing my clerkships, it’s difficult to choose!
- How do you study/do you have any study tips?
I believe that everyone has a method of studying that’s best for them, but I’m a strong proponent of concision and repetition. Simplify your notes and review the material until you can explain the information to someone outside your field (like a parent :-)). It’s a great way to figure out what you’re not clear on and see how everything fits together.
- What pens do you use to make your notes?
- Do you do follow-backs?
- Poll outcomes:
1. Which animal would you prefer to have as a pet: wolf (78) > fox (65)
2. Which pet do you prefer: dogs (14) > cats (11) > neither (6)
3. Which juice do you prefer: apple (19) > orange (17)
4. Which view do you like best: ocean (13) > mountain (8)
5. Which goes best with peanut butter: grape jelly (14) > strawberry jam (12) > marmalade (4)
6. Which super power would you rather have: fly (34) > teleport (29)
7. Which do you prefer in a romantic partner: supportive friend type (60) > passionate/seductive type (48) > cute/popular type (19)
8. Which anime character type is your favorite: glasses chara (28) > smiley chara (26)
9. Which of the three is the best breakfast food: waffles (27) > pancakes (19) = french toast (19)
10. Which of the three is the ultimate “sugar” doughnut: glazed (32) > powdered (15) > granulated sugar (8)
» Feel free to message me to add your opinion to any past poll! «